7 Questions Alex Trebek Never Read
I love Jeopardy, and I love Alex Trebek. But I hate those really smart contestants who seem to know everything about ancient history, literature, art, geography, and other stuff that most of us never learned in school.
As Americans, we should be well-equipped to understand what’s going on in our country, but I’m guessing that most of us are more knowledgeable about pop culture than some of the more “serious” topics.
Let’s see how you do with a bit of pop culture:
- Do you know who won the 2017 Super Bowl?
- Do you remember what famous country music star got her start on American Idol?
- Which music legend owned a place that he named Neverland?
- What color did Johnny Cash always wear?
- What famous professional basketball player was often recognized by his initials, M. J.?
- Which horror movie begins with the words, “Children of the ….?”
- Do you know which Nicholas Sparks book tells the life story of Noah and Allie?
- Can you give the names of two famous actors who were given the single name, “Brangelina?”
- Can you name three social media apps that people use nearly every day? The following are just a few: a, b, c, d.
- Which of Donald Trump’s daughters has the most public visibility?
- What type of music does Snoop Dogg perform?
Now let’s see how you do with other issues that affect us as Americans:
- How much has the rate of inflation increased/decreased in the last year?
- Do you know how many American soldiers died in the Vietnam War?
- How many NYC firemen died in 9-11?
- How many refugees have fled Aleppo?
- How many women die each day from domestic violence?
- What is FICA?
- Can you explain the electoral college?
- What percent of eligible citizens voted in the 2016 presidential election?
- How many countries have a U.S. military presence?
- Can you name four amendments to the United States Constitution?
- In what year did American women achieve suffrage?
I’m no Jeopardy whiz, and maybe you’re not either. That’s why I made sure you have all the Google links necessary to check things out for yourself.
But tell me, was I right? Were you able to answer more questions about pop culture? Or did you answer more of the Jeopardy-type questions? (If so, you might want to audition as a Jeopardy contestant!)
Things You Should Know
If the producers of Jeopardy let me create my own category, I would simply call it, “Things You Should Know.” It would sound like this:
Alex: More than 20,000 of these are placed each day in the United States.
Contestant: What are calls to domestic violence hotlines?
Alex: One out of three women will experience this in her lifetime.
Contestant: What is physical abuse?
Alex: Every year, more than 3,000 women do this because of domestic violence.
Contestant: What is lose their lives?
Alex: Domestic violence situations are the most dangerous type of calls for these public servants.
Contestant: Who are police officers?
Alex: Violent relationships are most likely to begin during this four-year age range.
Contestant: What is 19 – 22?
Alex: Only 34% of domestic violence victims ever do this.
Contestant: What is seek medical aid?
Alex: Women who leave a battering partner are this much more likely to be killed within two weeks after leaving the relationship than at any other time.
Contestant: What is 70 times more?
I doubt my Category, “Things You Should Know,” will clear the producer’s cut, but that doesn’t mean it’s not information worth knowing…and sharing.